From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: May be OT: recommended niceness settings for Portage while using Gnome?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:50:21
1 On 08/21/2009 07:54 PM, James Homuth wrote:
2 >
3 > I just got Gnome set up completely on a 5-year-old laptop with 512 MB of
4 > RAM running on a P4, and am sort of halfway in the middle of playing
5 > with it. In the process, I'm discovering I still need to install a few
6 > things. Just one problem. I emerge said things, and the system flatlines
7 > until such time as the compilation(s) are done--load is currently
8 > sitting at 2.1+. Are there any make.conf settings I can tweak so that I
9 > can still actually use the system while things compile, or would I be
10 > better off setting things to compile, throwing in a movie, and coming
11 > back when they're done? Thanks for any pointers.
12
13 Not sure if something changed in recent kernels, but 19 used to be the
14 most efficient value since processes running at 19 are considered batch
15 jobs. They get plenty of CPU time due to longer time-slices
16 (responsiveness suffers, but you don't care about portage being
17 responsive in the first place, so it's optimal.) So:
18
19 PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
20
21 Is best. However, also very important is "I/O nice". Setting an ionice
22 value of "idle" will result in portage not blocking your other
23 applications whey they need to do disk I/O:
24
25 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
26
27 This needs a kernel newer than 2.6.16 and it has to be configured to use
28 the CFQ scheduler. You know if that's the case if this command:
29
30 zgrep CFQ /proc/config.gz
31
32 says: