From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: May be OT: recommended niceness settings for Portage while using Gnome?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:01:55
1 On 8/21/09, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > However, also very important is "I/O nice". Setting an ionice
3 > value of "idle" will result in portage not blocking your other
4 > applications whey they need to do disk I/O:
5 >
6 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
7
8 Yes, as it is a laptop, it's likely to have a slow 5400 RPM disk. I
9 have a nearly same-spec old laptop (~5.5 yo, P4m 2.2GHz, 256+256MB
10 RAM), but I haven't had much trouble with portage emerges on it. Only
11 when something big is due to in the I/O (lots of swapping due to the
12 small RAM, kernel sources being unpacked, 100+ MB file transfer over
13 from LAN etc) has there been slowness which has been annoying.
14
15 Given the open nature of OP's question I'm also offering
16 MAKEOPTS="-j1". It's not really that much a "speed optimization" (on
17 the contrary?), but another way to try to keep the disk I/O and CPU to
18 yourself -- even if the compiles will take a bit longer on the
19 background. (And this ionice thing I got to try as well on that old
20 clunker, thanks for the tip!)
23 Arttu V.