From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:22:34
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:08:57 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Sometimes my problem is it is like shooting skeet, it's a
5 >>>> moving target. Sometimes it moves pretty darn fast too. Zac
6 >>>> adds it faster than I can keep up. I wish they would
7 >>>> announce new stuff when it get released, both unstable and
8 >>>> stable. Then again, maybe it moves so fast he can't keep up
9 >>>> either. lol
10 >>>
11 >>> --changed-use has been around for many years.
12 >
13 >> It sounds like the way it works has changed tho. I don't think I
14 >> have used that option before so I don't know how it used to work.
15 >> I think the OP thinks the same. Something changed I guess. We
16 >> all know that after the build output disappeared a while back.
17 >
18 > It hasn't changed and generally works as expected. I suspect this
19 > is specific to the KDE ebuilds (or eclass). changed-use should only
20 > skip an ebuild with changed flags if re-emerging would produce
21 > exactly the same code as before, this may not be the case. For
22 > example, in some ebuilds, it is the absence of a USE flag that
23 > triggers an extra configure option, so removing that use flag would
24 > give the same code as if the package had been emerged with it
25 > enabled.
26 >
27 > Something like this happened recently with the nls flag on glibc.
32 I'll take your word for it. ;-)
33
34 Dale
35
39 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
40 or how you interpreted my words!
41
42 Miss the compile output? Hint:
43 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"