From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:07:39
1 On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 04:08:57 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> Sometimes my problem is it is like shooting skeet, it's a moving
4 > >> target. Sometimes it moves pretty darn fast too. Zac adds it
5 > >> faster than I can keep up. I wish they would announce new stuff
6 > >> when it get released, both unstable and stable. Then again,
7 > >> maybe it moves so fast he can't keep up either. lol
8 > >
9 > > --changed-use has been around for many years.
10
11 > It sounds like the way it works has changed tho. I don't think I have
12 > used that option before so I don't know how it used to work. I think
13 > the OP thinks the same. Something changed I guess. We all know
14 > that after the build output disappeared a while back.
15
16 It hasn't changed and generally works as expected. I suspect this is
17 specific to the KDE ebuilds (or eclass). changed-use should only skip an
18 ebuild with changed flags if re-emerging would produce exactly the same
19 code as before, this may not be the case. For example, in some ebuilds,
20 it is the absence of a USE flag that triggers an extra configure option,
21 so removing that use flag would give the same code as if the package had
22 been emerged with it enabled.
23
24 Something like this happened recently with the nls flag on glibc.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Idaho - It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.