From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:35:32
1 On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The problem. After I am logged into KDE for a good while, like several
3 > hours to maybe a day or so, the kicker thingy at the bottom locks up
4 > tight. I can't switch desktops, clock stops working, can't click the K
5 > menu thingy either. Everything in the kicker thingy is dead as a door
6 > nail. I can switch desktops with the keyboard and everything else works
7 > in KDE just fine. I can also switch to a console too. Killing X and
8 > restarting it fixes it, xdm restart in my case. I don't have to reload
9 > drivers or restart the system. I do go back and downgrade the drivers
10 > after testing it.
11
12 I recently started having trouble where KDE becomes unresponsive at
13 login and logout for about 20 seconds or more. In my case it was
14 because of pulseaudio and KDE not getting along together for some
15 reason. The facts are a bit more nuanced but the work-around that
16 makes everything normal for me again was to edit
17 /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop and add a line which says:
18 NotShowIn=KDE
19
20 Maybe unrelated to your problem but I thought I would mention it just in case.