From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is this a bug in firefox-36.0?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 06:57:15
1 On Wednesday 18 Mar 2015 03:53:57 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:49:54 PM walt wrote:
3 > > I get a certificate verification error when visiting https://www.att.com
4 > > using firefox-36.0, but not when using chrome-41.0.2272.76.
5 > >
6 > > Anyone else see the same with firefox-36?
7 > >
8 > > BTW, I tried the latest firefox in a Win7 virtual machine and I was
9 > > shocked to see that firefox was updating itself when I was logged in
10 > > as an unprivileged user (i.e. *not* an Administrator). Are the idiots
11 > > at M$ *really* that stupid? They've learned nothing, apparently, since
12 > > Win 95 :(
13 > >
14 > > BTW, the Win7 firefox also flagged an error when visiting the web site
15 > > I mentioned above, but the error was displayed so subtly that I would
16 > > have missed it if I hadn't been looking for it specifically. Very bad
17 > > behavior.
18 >
19 > Technically the issue is with att's SSL certificate. It may be that they
20 > got a cheap certificate (meaning it's provides encryption but the CA did
21 > not verificy that ATT is a legit company) or it may be an issue with the
22 > certificate.
23 >
24 > It doesn't give any warning for me, it just shows an exclamation next to
25 > the address and the latest chromium does the same (it shows a triangle)
26 > and it gives you more info: "The identity of this website has been
27 > verified by Verizon Akamai SureSever CA G14-SHA1 but does not have public
28 > audit records."
29 >
30 > If you're concerned about it contact AT&T and let them know.
31
32 I also don't see a (pop-up) warning on Firefox 31.5.0 and Chromium
33 41.0.2272.76, but both browsers complain for two things by means of
34 exclamation marks in their address bar:
35
36 1. Some components on the page (pictures) are not secure. It is common
37 practice to load pictures from a picture library on a different server to
38 where the main web page content is served, but they should secure all content
39 with the same keys to avoid confusion.
40
41 2. The lack of Audit records for the wildcard certificate the site is using.
42 This is a new security check and relates to certificate transparency, which
43 aims to protect us from rogue or compromised CAs:
44
45 http://www.certificate-transparency.org/what-is-ct
49 Regards,
50 Mick