From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:43:27
1 On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I've just removed pulseaudio from my main Gentoo system. Why? Several
5 > reasons:
6 >
7 > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What does
8 > it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary layer of fat
9 > between sound applications and the kernel.
10
11 Take a look at this:
12
13 https://plus.google.com/photos/115256116066287398549/albums/5778609034682831121/5778849461325756466
14
15 That's me selecting with a click of the mouse if I want to use Skype
16 with the analog speakers from my laptop, or with my bluetooth headset.
17 Of course, the BT headset doesn't appear in the combo box until they
18 are actually connected; my USB speakers don't show up there because
19 they weren't connected.
20
21 With PA, I can switch soundcards for programs individually, without
22 the program in questing noticing at all: you have your sound coming
23 from the laptop speakers, and after selecting my BT headset, the sound
24 starts coming out from them, all instantaneously. No config files
25 editing required, everything "just works".
26
27 And of course all the other sound applications just keep working, and
28 the sound for them it's routed to the laptop speakers, but I can also
29 change them on the fly to go to my BT headset, or my USB speakers, or
30 even other machines using PA connected in my LAN (with proper
31 permissions).
32
33 You can probably do all of this without PA, but it will require to
34 edit $HOME/.asoundrc, and files under /etc/bluetooth/, and probably
35 testing different configurations for permissions, and...
36
37 And I just don't care. PA just works, in all my machines and media
38 center. And it's all very nicely integrated with GNOME and it just
39 works with a couple clicks from my mouse (if at all).
40
41 So if you don't need it, good for you that you can remove PA from your
42 system. For the *general case* (not necessarily the *most used*, but
43 the one that covers the *most* use cases), PA is the best solution
44 available. And all the distributions seems to agree on that.
45
46 Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés