From: Assaf Urieli <assaf@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:42:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've followed the installation instructions at:
4 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml
5
6 I've manually configured the kernel.
7 Since I have an ATI graphics card, I used the configuration parameters
8 as per:
9 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers
10 All other kernel configuration parameters were left at the default (I
11 think).
12
13 I decided to use GRUB. My grub.conf looks like this:
14 **********
15 default 0
16 timeout 30
17 splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
18 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
19 root (hd0,0)
20 kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3
21 **********
22
23 So, when I restart, everything looks allright. Grub asks me to choose
24 Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6, which I do. I can then login fine.
25 But when I try to run the emerge command, I get:
26 emerge: command not found (no surprise, it's not in /bin).
27
28 So, I went back to the installation CD, chrooted back into my
29 installation environment, and did "emerge portage".
30 The emerge portage claimed to work, but when I rebooted again without
31 the CD, I still get the same message.
32 (PS the adduser command described in the installation docs,
33 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.1/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=11
34 is missing as well)
35
36 Have I missed a step?