From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] newbie install - emerge: command not found
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:18:33
1 Assaf Urieli schreef:
2 > Hi all,
3 <snip>
4 > So, when I restart, everything looks allright. Grub asks me to choose
5 > Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6, which I do. I can then login fine.
6 > But when I try to run the emerge command, I get:
7 > emerge: command not found (no surprise, it's not in /bin).
8 >
9 > Have I missed a step?
10
11 Are you trying to run emerge as a user? It can only be run as root
12 ('command not found' often indicates that, assuming that the application
13 is installed, which in this case we know it is. The command cannot be
14 found in the user's $PATH-- because and so that the user cannot use it--
15 but in root's $PATH).
16
17 So if you missed a step, it was the step of su-ing to root before trying
18 to run emerge.
19
20 HTH,
21 Holly