From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:56:48
1 On 07/27/2013 03:08 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > And actually, the long term plan is for systemd --user to basically
3 > replace gnome-session-manager,
4
5 Is Lennart part of the gnome project now? ;)
6
7 > so just installing systemd is not
8 > going to work at all in the future, even if it *may* seems to work
9 > now (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't).
10
11 Maybe I'll be able to confirm or deny tomorrow morning :) The update
12 will take all night (on my slower machine) but I fear that the build
13 will quit with an error as soon as my head hits the pillow. I'll let
14 you know in the morning.
15
16 As an aside, I got this great idea for automating the update:
17
18 Instead of removing all gnome packages before updating gnome (much too
19 much boring work for lazy me) I updated the glib package first because
20 All Things Gnome depend on glib.
21
22 Then I started revdep-rebuild, which of course will automatically re-
23 install every gnome package on the machine (and update to the latest
24 versions of everything in the process :).
25
26 Of course portage refused to do the glib update because of a zillion
27 or more package conflicts, so I worked around that by running:
28
29 #ebuild /usr/portage/dev-libs/glib/glib-2.36.3-r1 merge
30
31 Let's see how many hours of pain my laziness will cost me this time :)