From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 16:18:19
1 090517 bn wrote:
2 > What are the caveats and pitfalls I should be aware of
3 > when upgrading to latest kernel? I resume this thread
4 > because I read of things like "/dev/sr0 has disappeared"
5 >> & "You need to enable this to make CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON visible.
6 >> ... THAT's what happened to it !! This is the change in 2.6.29
7 >> (it could have been in 2.6.26-8 , which I didn't install).
8 >> So having enabled these two options, I now get /dev/sr0
9 >> & can read & write (at least blank) a CD again.
10 >> This is another trap in configuring a new kernel,
11 >> ie some needed option is moved &/or needs another enabled to see it.
12 >> Another trap I ran into briefly was a field needing a string,
13 >> which looks as if all it needs is 'y/n' (also in 2.6.29)."
14 > So, what kind of traps like that should I expect?
15
16 That's part of the fun: you don't know what will hit you till it does !
17 As the OP of the above quote, my own resolution is to upgrade more often.
18
19 'make oldconfig' is the usual recommendation, but there's no help:
20 it's just a list of "Do you want to ... ?" which you can't save easily.
21 I upgraded from 2.6.25 & that was the only real problem,
22 which was caused by a change in 'make menuconfig' layout,
23 so I'ld say go ahead, but step cautiously thro' the configuration,
24 then test everything afterwards (I didn't find out re CDs till just now).
25
26 Each new kernel sb accompanied by a list of changes in configuration
27 with a short help paragraph for each: at present, that's missing.
28 Something to for Gentoo devs to nag upstream to get improved (smile).
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca