From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 15:39:09
1 bn ha scritto:
2 > 2) What are the caveats and pitfalls I should be aware of when upgrading
3 > to latest kernel? I confess that reading CHANGELOGs didn't help me too
4 > much, quite confusing.
5
6 I resume this thread because I read ofthings like that ("/dev/sr0 has
7 disappeared" thread):
8 "> You need to enable this to make CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON visible.
9
10 ... THAT's what happened to it !! This is the change in 2.6.29
11 (it could have been in 2.6.26-8 , which I didn't install).
12
13 So having enabled these two options, I now get /dev/sr0
14 & can read & write (at least blank) a CD again.
15
16 This is another trap in configuring a new kernel,
17 ie some needed option is moved &/or needs another enabled to see it.
18 Another trap I ran into briefly was a field needing a string,
19 which looks as if all it needs is 'y/n' (also in 2.6.29)."
20
21 So, what kind of traps like that should I expect?
22
23 cheers,
24 m.