From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 04:01:25
1 > There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
2 > be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
3 > use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
4 > yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
5 > to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
6 > 100 M were being used.
7
8 Yeah so it wont be swap related. This sounds more like the desktop
9 responsiveness issue discussed a while back. It might be worth
10 googling that (main issue was fixed in later kernels)
11 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1
12
13 There's other things that may help, ie
14 CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
15 CONFIG_HZ=1000