From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 01:02:08
1 Neil Bothwick writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >
5 > > I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
6 > > including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
7 > > finally have to actually do some work.
8 >
9 > I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
10 > had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
11 > updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
12 > disappeared.
13
14 There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
15 be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
16 use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
17 yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
18 to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
19 100 M were being used.
20
21 Wonko