From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 22:48:06
1 On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick writes:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
7 >> > including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
8 >> > finally have to actually do some work.
9 >>
10 >> I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
11 >> had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
12 >> updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
13 >> disappeared.
14 >
15 > There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
16 > be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
17 > use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
18 > yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
19 > to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
20 > 100 M were being used.
21
22 Hi,
23
24 I realize this thread is bigger than an encyclopedia by now, so I
25 apologize if this has already been suggested. :)
26
27 I'm curious if you look at /proc/interrupts if the disk with I/O
28 problems is sharing interrupt with some other device. Maybe there is a
29 conflict of some sort.
30
31 On my motherboard, one of the SATA controllers shares an interrupt
32 with the soundcard, for example.