From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 02:11:37
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick writes:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, 9 May 2012 21:44:19 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
7 >>> including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
8 >>> finally have to actually do some work.
9 >>
10 >> I recently experienced slowdowns and delays with KDE. It turned out I
11 >> had inadvertently disabled swap (I'd rearranged my partitions and not
12 >> updated fstab). As soon as I gave it some swap space the delays
13 >> disappeared.
14 >
15 > There's plenty of swap space available. With 16 G of RAM it should not
16 > be needed, but sometimes my load gets really really high, and when I can
17 > use the system again, there is 2-3 G of swap usage. I haven't found out
18 > yet what this is, it seems to happen when emerging things, maybe related
19 > to having 5 G tmpfs for portage, but when it happened the last time only
20 > 100 M were being used.
21 >
22 > Wonko
27 Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
28 to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
29 than ram.
30
31 I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
32
33 Dale
34
38 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
39 how you interpreted my words!
40
41 Miss the compile output? Hint:
42 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"