From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 00:36:31
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
4 > to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
5 > than ram.
6 >
7 > I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
8
9 Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
10 searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
11 http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
12
13 There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
14 read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
15 idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
16 rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
17
18 I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
19 and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
20 using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
21 http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
22 You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
23
24 But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
25 lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
26 next time it happens.
27
28 Wonko