From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 00:49:45
1 On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
3 >
4 >> Is there a way to find out what is using swap?  Maybe something related
5 >> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
6 >> than ram.
7 >>
8 >> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
9 >
10 > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
11 > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
12 > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
13 >
14 > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
15 > read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
16 > idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
17 > rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
18 >
19 > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
20 > and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
21 > using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
22 > http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
23 > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
24 >
25 > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
26 > lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
27 > next time it happens.
28 >
29 >        Wonko
32 sys-process/htop