From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot emerge x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.2-r1
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:18:18
1 On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:06:17 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > I can't recall the last time I needed to use MAKEOPTS=-j1, but if you
4 > > do set it you can get back the time you lose by using the jobs option
5 > > with emerge. That way you get parallel compilation, but of separate
6 > > packages.
7 >
8 > Something just occured to me. At the risk of sounding paranoid, is
9 > there an absolute guarantee that...
10 > - if package A has dependancies Y and Z...
11 > - the compile for A won't start before Y and Z are built and installed
12
13 Yes, and sometimes portage will only build one package before installing
14 the subsequent one. If a build fails, portage completes any other ongoing
15 emerges and then recalculates the dependencies, dropping any packages
16 that depend on the failed build.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Windows Error:01F Reserved for future mistakes.