From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot emerge x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.2-r1
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 04:07:12
1 On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:33:21AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
2 > On Sun, 9 May 2010 18:28:31 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > > Ditto for setting MAKEOPTS to -j1. Every once in a while, somebody
5 > > runs into a problem that is solved by it. I finally decided to let
6 > > the builds take a little bit longer, in exchange for saving me problems
7 > > with "unreproducable errors". This setting does not affect the final
8 > > binary; just how long it takes to build.
9 >
10 > I can't recall the last time I needed to use MAKEOPTS=-j1, but if you
11 > do set it you can get back the time you lose by using the jobs option
12 > with emerge. That way you get parallel compilation, but of separate
13 > packages.
14
15 Something just occured to me. At the risk of sounding paranoid, is
16 there an absolute guarantee that...
17 - if package A has dependancies Y and Z...
18 - the compile for A won't start before Y and Z are built and installed
19
20 This could be especially ugly for my new system installs. I usually
21 install text-console mode only, followed by "emerge gimp", which pulls
22 in X and a whole bunch of other stuff as dependancies. Portage handles
23 this process very well right now.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>