From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot emerge x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.6.2-r1
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:49:09
1 On Thursday 13 May 2010 06:06:17 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:33:21AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 > > On Sun, 9 May 2010 18:28:31 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > > Ditto for setting MAKEOPTS to -j1. Every once in a while, somebody
6 > > >
7 > > > runs into a problem that is solved by it. I finally decided to let
8 > > > the builds take a little bit longer, in exchange for saving me problems
9 > > > with "unreproducable errors". This setting does not affect the final
10 > > > binary; just how long it takes to build.
11 > >
12 > > I can't recall the last time I needed to use MAKEOPTS=-j1, but if you
13 > > do set it you can get back the time you lose by using the jobs option
14 > > with emerge. That way you get parallel compilation, but of separate
15 > > packages.
16 >
17 > Something just occured to me. At the risk of sounding paranoid, is
18 > there an absolute guarantee that...
19 > - if package A has dependancies Y and Z...
20 > - the compile for A won't start before Y and Z are built and installed
21
22 Yes. This is easy to do, IIRC Python even ships with the necessary library
23 routines for the data structures required.
24
25 One builds a data graph that represents dependencies, when finished you are
26 guaranteed that if the graph is read from the bottom up then your conditions
27 are met.
28
29 Elementary my dear Watson, we cover this in first year Comp Sci courses
30
31 > This could be especially ugly for my new system installs. I usually
32 > install text-console mode only, followed by "emerge gimp", which pulls
33 > in X and a whole bunch of other stuff as dependancies. Portage handles
34 > this process very well right now.
35
36 It is this way because Gentoo is unusuable without it
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com