From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: too many kernel problems!
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:01:37
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
4 > However, I can't find a kernel that will run both a) hyperthreading and
5 > b) suspend / resume in a stable manner!
6
7 Well, I'm no genius here, but, I can help you by using
8 a portable with a 3GHz HT intel processor to build
9 equivalent kernels (differing only in hardware on the mobo)
10 to test/verify your troubles, if you like.
11
12 >From cpuinfo:
13 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
14 stepping : 9
15 cpu MHz : 3067.472
16 cache size : 512 KB
17
18 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
19 pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
23 > Here's a little table to show what I mean. The c-state patch is the one
24 > required to get HT working. With it, suspend (to disk) doesn't work,
25 > without it, usability is crap!
26 >
27 > kernel c-state patch? SMP speed suspend general
28 > 2.6.12-gr7 no fast untested stable
29 > ----------
30 > 2.6.13-gr2 no slow stable stable
31 > 2.6.13-gr2 yes fast unstable
32 > ----------
33 > 2.6.13-gr3 no
34 > 2.6.13-gr3 yes fast unstable unstable
35
36 Hm, this table looks dubious, how was the results generated, i.e.
37 which variables are quantitative(objective) and which are qualitative
38 (subjective) in nature?
39
40 > So, my question is: Do I have to give up suspend? (I hope not, as when
41 > it does work it works great and only takes a few seconds to suspend /
42 > start up). Is it worth a bugzilla entry anywhere?
43
44 Lets approach this systematically, and yes, you can/should open up
45 a trouble ticket with bugzilla. You can lead the discussion/direction
46 here on this list, as this is YOUR thread.
47
48 > [I'm using only the gentoo-sources for suspend, no extra patches or
49 > utilities. To suspend, I just type `echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk;
50 > echo disk > /sys/power/state` as root.
51
52 I use these gentoo-sources too. In fact I keep lots of different kernel
53 versions around on each machine, as I'm always noodling with kernels
54 options, patches, hacks, and sporadic assembler code....
58 > I'm hoping there are some kernel guru's out there somewhere that can
59 > give me some pointers.
60
61 Folks with the sort of expertise you seek, rarely have time for
62 us commoners, in my experience....YMMV.
63
64 So if you are interested in a systematic approach, let's agree on
65 a common set of USE flags.
66 Here are mine from make.conf:
67 CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -g"
68 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
69
70 I do not deviate from these for any code/packages I build
71 on this Intel ht portable.
74 The kernel versions we can use
75 (for example both a gentoo-sources 2.6.12-r9 ( I use
76 on a variety of systems.) and 2.6.13-r3). Build both and let's
77 use a common set of tools for testing and evaluation.
78
79 Send me your .config for each, privately, unless the list
80 wants those files or relevant portions thereof.
81
82 Let's also agree on how what we use as testing tools, I use
83 KDE and it has many gui related front-end apps. that can
84 be used to interface to ACPI.
85
86 Interested in this approach?
87