From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 23:06:49
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 26 Apr 2008, at 19:57, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >
6 > > ...
7 > >
8 > > I don't buy that it's my issue created by a long time between updates.
9 > > I could turn on any machine that's sitting in a junk heap or back room
10 > > somewhere. It hasn't been powered up in a long time. I log in and want
11 > > to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
12 > > emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
13 > >
14 > > As I say, I can get around the problem by simply copying absolutely
15 > > everything somewhere else to protect it. It just seems to me that's
16 > > not as slick as Gentoo really is. (And I think you know I LOVE this
17 > > distribution and have no desire to run anything else ...
20 > To be completely fair, one has to compare this with the situation in which
21 > one digs out of the storeroom an old PC on which a binary distro has been
22 > installed. I have read Ubuntu users complaining that the easiest thing to do
23 > is backup /home and appropriate /etc files and then reinstall from scratch.
26 Ans it's actually what I ended up doing. When I considered that emerge
27 was going to rebuild everything anyway it seemed that for an hour's
28 work going through the quick install guide I might get lucky and only
29 have to rebuild a few packages from the 2008 beta CD so I went that
30 way. Fdisk'ed the drive, did a new install, set off emerge -DuN system
31 and walked away.
32
33 However if I had Alan's wrapper maybe I would have saved the hour's
34 work. Don't know.
35
36 Thanks!
37