From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:54:21
1 On 26 Apr 2008, at 19:57, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I don't buy that it's my issue created by a long time between updates.
4 > I could turn on any machine that's sitting in a junk heap or back room
5 > somewhere. It hasn't been powered up in a long time. I log in and want
6 > to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
7 > emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
8 >
9 > As I say, I can get around the problem by simply copying absolutely
10 > everything somewhere else to protect it. It just seems to me that's
11 > not as slick as Gentoo really is. (And I think you know I LOVE this
12 > distribution and have no desire to run anything else ...
13
14 To be completely fair, one has to compare this with the situation in
15 which one digs out of the storeroom an old PC on which a binary
16 distro has been installed. I have read Ubuntu users complaining that
17 the easiest thing to do is backup /home and appropriate /etc files
18 and then reinstall from scratch.
19
20 I would say that you can probably get a better result with Gentoo, if
21 you do backup /usr/portage as you suggest. The chances are that your
22 old machine is not using the latest profile in its Portage tree - if
23 you can update to that, and then this is shown as depreciated (but
24 still existent) in the current tree then I think you maybe have a
25 fighting chance.
26
27 I guess what would be ideal for you is if a frozen snapshot of the
28 Portage tree was archived every 6 months or so. You could probably
29 then update sanely from snapshot to the next. But I think you're
30 probably a "corner case" in wishing this, and I think it'd be
31 rejected, were it requested of the Gentoo developers. The good news,
32 of course, is that _anyone_ can make their own Portage snapshot
33 tarballs as frequently as they like, automating it with cron.
34
35 Stroller.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list