From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:58:01
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:22:51 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Where I get frustrated/ticked off/mad is when some independent
5 > > developer, or group of developers, simply decides to remove code on
6 > > **MY** machine and force me to make updates without giving me *ANY**
7 > > opportunity to make a choice.
8 >
9 > But they do, as long as you don't leave an unreasonably long time between
10 > syncs. emerge --sync warns you when your profile has been deprecated.
11 > Your problem is that the delay between syncs was such that you skipped
12 > the whole warning period, which should be a LONG time.
15 > > I get that the leading-edge developer/gamer mentality cannot get their
16 > > heads around having machines run for long, long periods of time -
17 > > years - but these machines do.
18 >
19 > Running a machine for a long time is fine, running it without checking
20 > for security updates is not. What's wrong with a weekly cron job that
21 > runs emerge --sync and glsa-check and emails you the results?
24 cron? I thought after all this time you knew who you're talking to Neil?
25
26 The security issue is valid, no matter what distribution.
27
28 I don't buy that it's my issue created by a long time between updates.
29 I could turn on any machine that's sitting in a junk heap or back room
30 somewhere. It hasn't been powered up in a long time. I log in and want
31 to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
32 emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
33
34 As I say, I can get around the problem by simply copying absolutely
35 everything somewhere else to protect it. It just seems to me that's
36 not as slick as Gentoo really is. (And I think you know I LOVE this
37 distribution and have no desire to run anything else. My comments are
38 made ONLY in the hope that one day some developer will see the value
39 and look into some sort of change that would help with this. It's
40 happened to me with profiles, kernels, device drivers, lots of stuff.
41 It doesn't need to be an issue, or so I feel.)
42
43 Anyway, enough of this. thanks!
44
45 - Mark