From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:25:03
1 On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:22:51 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Where I get frustrated/ticked off/mad is when some independent
4 > developer, or group of developers, simply decides to remove code on
5 > **MY** machine and force me to make updates without giving me *ANY**
6 > opportunity to make a choice.
7
8 But they do, as long as you don't leave an unreasonably long time between
9 syncs. emerge --sync warns you when your profile has been deprecated.
10 Your problem is that the delay between syncs was such that you skipped
11 the whole warning period, which should be a LONG time.
12
13 > I get that the leading-edge developer/gamer mentality cannot get their
14 > heads around having machines run for long, long periods of time -
15 > years - but these machines do.
16
17 Running a machine for a long time is fine, running it without checking
18 for security updates is not. What's wrong with a weekly cron job that
19 runs emerge --sync and glsa-check and emails you the results?
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 "Windows didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
26 of careful development."