From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:22:53
1 On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:17:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > There is no way that I know of to know before running emerge --sync
5 > > what has been removed from the servers and hence would be removed from
6 > > my machine. Why do Gentoo devs think they should remove anything from
7 > > my machine. It's my machine, not theirs.
8 >
9 > The problem was caused by such a long delay between syncs. A profile is
10 > deprecated a long time before it is removed, during that period you would
11 > have received warnings about this and advised to switch to a currently
12 > supported profile.
13 >
14 > I understand your frustration, but the standard Gentoo portage setup
15 > isn't really suited to an environment where updates are only applied
16 > every couple of years. That's not really a good way to manage an Internet
17 > connected computer anyway, how many security fixes have you missed?
20 > --
21 > Neil Bothwick
22
23 I completely understand that part, and actually I have absolutely NO
24 problem with any of that. Actually I support it. I get that the
25 maintainers of portage don't want to support everything, etc., so they
26 remove things form portage. No big deal. And clearly your use of the
27 word 'standard' in front of 'portage setup' is key here. It's just the
28 way it works, and I completely understand that.
29
30 Where I get frustrated/ticked off/mad is when some independent
31 developer, or group of developers, simply decides to remove code on
32 **MY** machine and force me to make updates without giving me *ANY**
33 opportunity to make a choice. All I did was type emerge --sync and
34 stuff gets deleted and the machine doesn't function until I fix links
35 and rebuild stuff. I'm *forced* to make changes when my purpose in
36 running emerge --sync was nothing more than to *discover* what had
37 been updated. (Obviously a LOT in this case!)
38
39 I get that the leading-edge developer/gamer mentality cannot get their
40 heads around having machines run for long, long periods of time -
41 years - but these machines do. My parents were running Myth-0.18 or
42 something very old. it worked for them so why change it? These
43 machines only work with an ATI drivers no longer in portage which
44 forces me to use a kernel no longer in portage. I'm fine with the
45 overlay concept and I've saved my kernel and ATI driver. What I argue
46 would be an improvement is that instead of deleting this stuff that
47 instead it automatically move whatever ebuilds it wants to delete to
48 my 'obsolete' portage overlay. Nothing is lost. I go one working and
49 deciding what to change and when to change it. Portage developers can
50 then decide to obsolete anything they want at any time they want and I
51 don't end up with a dead machine. (Dead is strong - used only to make
52 a point - it's 'dead' to me.)
53
54 Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I know this isn't going to happen
55 as I've been making this point for years now. I don't understand the
56 resistance but such are the mysteries of the Open Source world! ;-)
57
58 Cheers,
59 Mark
60 --