From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 07:21:04
1 On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:17:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > There is no way that I know of to know before running emerge --sync
4 > what has been removed from the servers and hence would be removed from
5 > my machine. Why do Gentoo devs think they should remove anything from
6 > my machine. It's my machine, not theirs.
7
8 The problem was caused by such a long delay between syncs. A profile is
9 deprecated a long time before it is removed, during that period you would
10 have received warnings about this and advised to switch to a currently
11 supported profile.
12
13 I understand your frustration, but the standard Gentoo portage setup
14 isn't really suited to an environment where updates are only applied
15 every couple of years. That's not really a good way to manage an Internet
16 connected computer anyway, how many security fixes have you missed?
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 The gene pool could use a little chlorine.