From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:17:41
1 On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 25 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Did this machine just get messed up over time and I didn't notice or
5 > > did emerge --sync remove the profile from the system thus breaking
6 > > everything?
7 >
8 > Profiles are stored in $PORTAGE_DIR/profiles, so they do get removed
9 > during a sync if they are no longer on the server, just like old
10 > ebuilds get removed.
11 >
12 > A missing profile shouldn't break anything beyond getting a huge big
13 > error message when you try to emerge something. Just replace the
14 > profile link to an existing current one and 'emerge -avuND world' as
15 > normal
16 >
17 BTW - I have been on record for a long time as being very against this
18 aspect of the implementation of portage and will remain forever so.
19 (Not that the devs care about my POV. I'm just stating it again for
20 the record.)
21
22 I do not believe that running a simple emerge --sync just to find out
23 what might have changed should ever FORCE me into profile changes and
24 complete machine upgrades. Gentoo was supposed to be about choice and
25 this operation has removed my ability to choose. In this case all I
26 wondered was what *might* need to be updated. I had no intention of
27 necessarily doing anything major to the machine. However by running a
28 simple emerge --sync command to download some new data portage has now
29 forced me into an update.
30
31 There is no way that I know of to know before running emerge --sync
32 what has been removed from the servers and hence would be removed from
33 my machine. Why do Gentoo devs think they should remove anything from
34 my machine. It's my machine, not theirs.
35
36 The only way for me to really protect myself would appear to be that I
37 have to back up everything which I find silly.
38
39 Far better in my mind, and stated many times before, would be for me
40 to create a personal unsupported overlay area and then let portage
41 move anything that is obsolete to that location. This gets it out of
42 the main tree but doesn't leave users stranded.
43
44 Again, I've said this over the years and I'm just saying it again for
45 the record.
46
47 Thanks,
48 Mark