From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SNAFU: TO THE N'TH POWER!
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 10:23:29
1 On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:24:34 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:11:28 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
5 > >
6 > > It appears to be a 2-stage boot process:
7 > >
8 > > BIOS boot -> Binary of GRUB bootstrap loader.
9 > > You don't have a BIOS with a UEFI system.
10 >
11 > We were discussing BIOS boot on a MFT partition scheme, which is what
12 > I'm using right now.
13
14 There is no such thing as an MFT pattition scheme, and you have mentioned
15 UEFI several times, so you do not have BIOS (unless you are booting in
16 compatibility mode).
17
18 > > The boot manager in the firmware picks an EFI boot image from the ESP,
19 > > usually sda1. Once it loads that it's job is done. The boot image can
20 > > be a kernel or a secondary bootloader like GRUB.
21 > >
22 > > Really, there is rarely a point in using GRUB on a UEFI system. Any
23 > > bootloader adds extra complication, GRUB does it in spades. Just use a
24 > > boot manager like rEFInd or systemd-boot - the latter is the simpler
25 > > to work with AFAICT.
26 >
27 > I would tend to agree with you except I tried booting my kernel with the
28 > EFI stub loader by copying it to BOOTx64.EFI (the specification has the
29 > X lower case but actual implementations seem to be case insensitive),
30 > and the system would lock up. I have no idea what to read into that. The
31 > contribution of GRUB is that it makes it easier to change kernel
32 > parameters without recompiling the kernel.
33
34 That's why we have boot managers, such as systemd-boot (which doesn't
35 require systemd) and rEFInd. They allow you to boot with alternative
36 configurations in the same way that a bootloader like GRUB or syslinux
37 does with a BIOS system.
38
39 I think you need to stop poking around at this and take a step back to do
40 some reading to understand the EFI boot process. Then start again with a
41 clean slate and an EFI boot manager. I would recommend systemd-boot, it
42 is simple and slimline, but I haven't tried rEFInd, which does look a lot
43 prettier.
44
45 To give an idea of the simplicity of systemd-boot, here is the config file
46
47 timeout 3
48 default 00-*
49
50 Then you have a separate file for each kernel, or set of kernel options,
51 here is the default on my system.
52
53 title Desktop
54 version 4.9.6-gentoo
55 linux /vmlinuz-4.9.6-gentoo
56 options root=LABEL=vranx rd.luks.uuid=luks-69776234-fbf3-4455-9d39-cc5f2dcc33eb rootfstype=btrfs rootflags=rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache i915.enable_ips=0 rd.shell net.ifnames=0 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
57 initrd /initramfs-4.9.6-gentoo.img
58
59 Seven lines of configuration in total, and at least two of those are
60 optional!
64 Neil Bothwick
65
66 Yeah, but what's the speed of dark?