From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SNAFU: TO THE N'TH POWER!
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 01:25:03
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:11:28 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >
4 > It appears to be a 2-stage boot process:
5 >
6 > BIOS boot -> Binary of GRUB bootstrap loader.
7 > You don't have a BIOS with a UEFI system.
8
9 We were discussing BIOS boot on a MFT partition scheme, which is what
10 I'm using right now.
11
12 > >Boot -> Grub libraries, config, and kernels.
13 > The boot manager in the firmware picks an EFI boot image from the ESP,
14 > usually sda1. Once it loads that it's job is done. The boot image can be
15 > a kernel or a secondary bootloader like GRUB.
16 >
17 > Really, there is rarely a point in using GRUB on a UEFI system. Any
18 > bootloader adds extra complication, GRUB does it in spades. Just use a
19 > boot manager like rEFInd or systemd-boot - the latter is the simpler to
20 > work with AFAICT.
21
22 I would tend to agree with you except I tried booting my kernel with the
23 EFI stub loader by copying it to BOOTx64.EFI (the specification has the
24 X lower case but actual implementations seem to be case insensitive),
25 and the system would lock up. I have no idea what to read into that. The
26 contribution of GRUB is that it makes it easier to change kernel
27 parameters without recompiling the kernel.
28
29 Damint, my e-mail editor is freezing and not showing my text for several
30 seconds... =( I can type through the pauses but can't read what I'm
31 misspelling during them. =/
34 Strange Game.
35 The only winning move is not to play.
36
37 Powers are not rights.