From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SNAFU: TO THE N'TH POWER!
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:02:52
1 On Saturday 28 Jan 2017 20:24:34 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:11:28 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
4 > >
5 > > It appears to be a 2-stage boot process:
6 > >
7 > > BIOS boot -> Binary of GRUB bootstrap loader.
8 > > You don't have a BIOS with a UEFI system.
9 >
10 > We were discussing BIOS boot on a MFT partition scheme, which is what
11 > I'm using right now.
12
13 MFT is a table with file metadata within an NTFS partition:
14
15 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365230(v=vs.85).aspx
16
17 Are you saying you are booting your system by chainloading the gentoo kernel
18 (or GRUB) from an NTFS partition, with the MSWindows boot loader?
19
20 > > >Boot -> Grub libraries, config, and kernels.
21 > >
22 > > The boot manager in the firmware picks an EFI boot image from the ESP,
23 > > usually sda1. Once it loads that it's job is done. The boot image can be
24 > > a kernel or a secondary bootloader like GRUB.
25 > >
26 > > Really, there is rarely a point in using GRUB on a UEFI system. Any
27 > > bootloader adds extra complication, GRUB does it in spades. Just use a
28 > > boot manager like rEFInd or systemd-boot - the latter is the simpler to
29 > > work with AFAICT.
30 >
31 > I would tend to agree with you except I tried booting my kernel with the
32 > EFI stub loader by copying it to BOOTx64.EFI (the specification has the
33 > X lower case but actual implementations seem to be case insensitive),
34 > and the system would lock up. I have no idea what to read into that.
35
36 Can you please post the kernel error message? Build the kernel with debugging
37 support initially, to get some meaningful output. Some things to check while
38 troubleshooting it:
39
40 - Your Linux filesystem is built in the kernel
41 - You have also built in your kernel EFI and EFI stub support
42 - You have specified in your kernel the path to the / partition along with any
43 other parameters e.g. CONFIG_CMDLINE="/dev/sda2 rootfstype=btrfs".
44 - The path to initramfs if you are using one is either specified on the
45 CONFIG_CMDLINE as above, or it is built in the kernel itself as a cpio
46 archive.
47 - You have run the efibootmgr command with the right syntax, options and
48 parameters and have run it a second time as 'efibootmgr -v' to verify its
49 output shows correctly the path to your gentoo kernel image.
50
51 > The
52 > contribution of GRUB is that it makes it easier to change kernel
53 > parameters without recompiling the kernel.
54
55 GRUB, gummiboot/systemd-boot, rEFInd and friends are all practical and
56 potentially necessary means of switching between kernels and operating systems
57 in a multiboot installation. Otherwise you have to drop into your OS BIOS
58 settings to select a boot image from there, or install and use UEFI shell.
59
60 Check the gentoo handbook and wiki pages for more details on this subject and
61 post back any questions if something is not clear.
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick