From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config for eee w/Atom N270 CPU
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:10:49
1 Maxim Wexler schrieb:
2 > On 6/11/09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Hi group,
5 >>>
6 >>> Been tracking down other's kern config for 900A w/ N270 Atom cpu and
7 >>> notice, so far, everyone goes for CONFIG_SMP=y. Why, particularly when
8 >>> most commenters stress keeping the kernel as slim as possible?
9 >>>
10 >>> In the <help> window we have 'If you have a system with only one CPU,
11 >>> like most personal computers, say N.' As far as I know the 900A has
12 >>> only one CPU, unless there is some sort of virtual one I haven't heard
13 >>> of yet.
14 >> Does the CPU have multiple cores? If so, that's probably why.
17 > hmm, when I %cat /proc/cpuinfo I get processor :0 at the top of a list
18 > of stuff then, just below that, processor :1 at the top of an
19 > identical list.
20 >
21 > Are those two cores? I think CONFIG_MCORE2=y is recommended for the
22 > Atom. Does MCORE2 mean 'two cores' or 'core no.2'? The <help>
23 > window(under Symmetric multi-processor support) says nothing about
24 > 'cores' Are 'cores' and 'cpus' the same thing in this context?
25 >
26 > Well, this has taken me all morning and half the afternoon and I
27 > haven't even started 'Power management...' options yet. I'll just say
28 > 'yes' to SMP and carry on. Hopefully have the definitive answer by
29 > midnight and I can make the darn kernel.
30 >
31 > mw
32 >
33 > mw
36 The N270 (as well as any other 2xx Atom) has one core. However, it
37 supports HyperThreading which produces that second entry in /proc/cpuinfo.
38
39 For this, you need SMP as well as SMT (an option which you will only see
40 when SMP is enabled).