From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config for eee w/Atom N270 CPU
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:56:56
1 On 6/11/09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi group,
4 >>
5 >> Been tracking down other's kern config for 900A w/ N270 Atom cpu and
6 >> notice, so far, everyone goes for CONFIG_SMP=y. Why, particularly when
7 >> most commenters stress keeping the kernel as slim as possible?
8 >>
9 >> In the <help> window we have 'If you have a system with only one CPU,
10 >> like most personal computers, say N.' As far as I know the 900A has
11 >> only one CPU, unless there is some sort of virtual one I haven't heard
12 >> of yet.
13 >
14 > Does the CPU have multiple cores? If so, that's probably why.
17 hmm, when I %cat /proc/cpuinfo I get processor :0 at the top of a list
18 of stuff then, just below that, processor :1 at the top of an
19 identical list.
20
21 Are those two cores? I think CONFIG_MCORE2=y is recommended for the
22 Atom. Does MCORE2 mean 'two cores' or 'core no.2'? The <help>
23 window(under Symmetric multi-processor support) says nothing about
24 'cores' Are 'cores' and 'cpus' the same thing in this context?
25
26 Well, this has taken me all morning and half the afternoon and I
27 haven't even started 'Power management...' options yet. I'll just say
28 'yes' to SMP and carry on. Hopefully have the definitive answer by
29 midnight and I can make the darn kernel.
30
31 mw
32
33 mw