From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config for eee w/Atom N270 CPU
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:09:02
1 On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 6/11/09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Hi group,
5 >>>
6 >>> Been tracking down other's kern config for 900A w/ N270 Atom cpu and
7 >>> notice, so far, everyone goes for CONFIG_SMP=y. Why, particularly when
8 >>> most commenters stress keeping the kernel as slim as possible?
9 >>>
10 >>> In the <help> window we have 'If you have a system with only one CPU,
11 >>> like most personal computers, say N.' As far as I know the 900A has
12 >>> only one CPU, unless there is some sort of virtual one I haven't heard
13 >>> of yet.
14 >>
15 >> Does the CPU have multiple cores? If so, that's probably why.
18 > hmm, when I %cat /proc/cpuinfo I get processor :0 at the top of a list
19 > of stuff then, just below that, processor :1 at the top of an
20 > identical list.
21 >
22 > Are those two cores? I think CONFIG_MCORE2=y is recommended for the
23 > Atom. Does MCORE2 mean 'two cores' or 'core no.2'? The <help>
24 > window(under Symmetric multi-processor support) says nothing about
25 > 'cores' Are 'cores' and 'cpus' the same thing in this context?
26 >
27 > Well, this has taken me all morning and half the afternoon and I
28 > haven't even started 'Power management...' options yet. I'll just say
29 > 'yes' to SMP and carry on. Hopefully have the definitive answer by
30 > midnight and I can make the darn kernel.
31
32 That is correct, SMP is required to use the multi-core option.
33 Multi-Cores and SMP are not the same thing, but are "basically" the
34 same thing, so the same code handles both. It appears you do have a
35 dual-core CPU, so you should use SMP and the multi-core option in your
36 kernel config. Otherwise you'll only be using half of your processor's
37 ability.