From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:25:55
1 On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > What doesn't work is PulseAudio, actually.  Too many problems with it. Pulse
4 > is simply broken by design; it's too far from the kernel to be any good.
5
6 If I may use (most of) your words: "Well, it works here. It's been
7 rock-solid through months." And with various use-cases, if I may add.
8
9 Can you elaborate why the audio architecture has to be close to the
10 kernel? The part that talks to the hardware obviously has to, but why
11 the part that handles the features, the mixes, the virtual devices?
12 I'm under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was one of
13 the major reasons to leave OSS4 outside the upstream kernel; too many
14 stuff in there that belongs in user space. It sounds reasonable to me.
15
16 Specially when PulseAudio just works, for me and many more.
17
18 [snip]
19 > ALSA can't switch to Bluetooth either.  You could use PulseAudio with OSS4
20 > instead of with ALSA though, but this is not officially supported.
21
22 Indeed it's not supported, because it's (using your words again)
23 "broken by design" by trying to do too many things inside the kernel
24 that belong in user space. That's my understanding at least; please
25 correct me if you believe I'm mistaken.
26
27 Regards.
28 --
29 Canek Peláez Valdés