From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Phonon + PulseAudio Problem
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:04:46
1 On 05/20/2010 09:44 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 05/20/2010 08:30 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Don't
6 >>> even mention OSS4; the sound architecture goes in user space, not the
7 >>> kernel.
8 >>
9 >> I don't care where they go (why the hell should I?), for as long as they
10 >> work.
11 >
12 > You should care, because if it breaks inside the kernel, it probably
13 > takes away the whole operating system. And then you lose work and
14 > you're sad.
15
16 Well, it doesn't break here. It's been rock-solid through the years.
17 It's too bad it's going to die though; it was the only way to get solid
18 sound for me. ALSA with its out-of-kernel dmix sucked, like, forever.
19
20 What doesn't work is PulseAudio, actually. Too many problems with it.
21 Pulse is simply broken by design; it's too far from the kernel to be any
22 good.
25 > But don't take my word for it; Intel+Nokia are using PulseAudio in
26 > MeeGo, and Google it's doing the same with Android. They are making an
27 > opinion with their wallets.
28 >
29 > (And doesn't really matters, but I haven't heard that it's possible to
30 > switch audio from internal speakers to bluetooth headset with OSS4, so
31 > as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't work.)
32
33 ALSA can't switch to Bluetooth either. You could use PulseAudio with
34 OSS4 instead of with ALSA though, but this is not officially supported.