From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole issue
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:14:06
1 On 01/02/12 12:09, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 06:44:19 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> The associated line when you cat /etc/init.d/devfs on my system looks
5 >>>> exactly like the line above.
6 >>> What about fstab? An entry in there could override the openrc setting.
7 >> Good point, but how does that fstab entry appear if she hasn't done
8 >> updates? I suppose she might have been editing in fstab and made a
9 >> mistake? If she was editing she should certainly check it out.
10 I didn't do any edits to fstab - the file was the one I created on the
11 initial install on this computer a couple of months ago - computer is
12 reasonable new.
13 > I suspect Colleen did change something, but it didn't take effect until
14 > a reboot. I've been caught like that before now, make a seemingly
15 > insignificant change then get bitten a few weeks later when I reboot into
16 > a new kernel and blame the kernel.
17 The problem didn't have anything to do with a reboot. I was trying to
18 get MySQL to recognize a database that I had created on my laptop and I
19 was following along with the documentation on the MySQL site. I had
20 konsole open looking for stuff - I copied the database files that I
21 wanted to use in the location of the my.cnf file. I noticed that I
22 didn't have konsole open at one point - thought that I had closed it and
23 when I started it up again, there was no prompt, only the black block
24 cursor.
25 >
26 >> Reading back through this thread I don't see whether Colleen tried my
27 >> suggestion about a creating a new user. My thought was that some KDE
28 >> config file somewhere got corrupted and a new user would not have that
29 >> same issue.
30 I did create a new user and it didn't help. I've tried every suggestion
31 made in this thread to no avail. For example, I changed the group of
32 /dev/pts to tty as others indicated that that was what it was supposed
33 to be.
34 >
35 > I doubt it will make a difference in this case as it it down to
36 > permissions in /etc, but it never hurts to try.
37 Regards,
38
39 Colleen
43 Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org