From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye, Gentoo
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 14:34:04
1 On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:38 on Saturday 28 May 2011, Daniel da
4 > Veiga
5 > did opine thusly:
6 >
7 > > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 20:28, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
8 > wrote:
9 > > > It looks like it's time to take Gentoo off of my main machine. I feel
10 > a
11 > > > little sad about it, or I'd just quietly go away.
12 > > >
13 > > > So, since I am familiar with Ubuntu from work, and have it on a couple
14 > of
15 > > > laptops, I'm installing from the Ubuntu 11.04 live disk (video is just
16 > > > fine).
17 > >
18 > > Good luck.
19 > > A friend just dropped Ubuntu cause they simply decided to use Unity, and
20 > > the dashboard is just (his words) weird. He was used to the Gnome look,
21 > > and they simply changed everthing with an upgrade.
22 > >
23 > > I stick with Gentoo, at least I know my next upgrade won't change my
24 > whole
25 > > interface...
28 > Ubuntu are simply doing what KDE already did - take a risk, go with
29 > something
30 > new, try to stay ahead of the curve.
31 >
32 > Unity works fine on my netbook with 600 vertical pixels. I'm not sure it
33 > would
34 > work well on my 1920x1200 notebook though. That's the risk one takes with
35 > disruptive technologies, you might annoy some of your users
38 My hardware is not capable enough to run unity, so it logs into Gnome 2, the
39 familiar
40 interface. I'm eventually going to upgrade the mobo and video, and I'll get
41 to visit
42 with Unity on my own schedule. I generally stick to the LTS versions, which
43 remain
44 supported for 3 years. I don't see the point of more frequent upgrades
45 because
46 as an old-timer, I am perfectly happy with the tools I'm used to and find
47 myself
48 increasingly exhausted on the learning curves. I can do it, but I want
49 there to be
50 a really good view at the top. :o)
53 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD