From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Corrupt files or ntfs-3g fs?
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:37:55
1 Hi All,
2
3 I have a ntfs partition which I mount with ntfs-3g and fuse. Some months ago
4 I had split a video file which thereafter bzipped:
5
6 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00001xaa.bz2
7 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00002xaa.bz2
8 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00003xaa.bz2
9 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00004xaa.bz2
10 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00005xaa.bz2
11 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00006xaa.bz2
12 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00007xaa.bz2
13 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00008xaa.bz2
14 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00009xaa.bz2
15 -????????? ? ? ? ? ? rec00010xaa.bz2
16
17 The ??? above show me that something is amiss and the files have been
18 corrupted. I recall deleting them (or trying to) from within MSWindows, but
19 I couldn't do that and, of course, blamed MSWindows for it.
20
21 Now I am looking at this having booted into Gentoo and I cannot delete them:
22 =====================================
23 /mnt/VideoDrive $ rm rec00001xaa.bz2
24
25 rm: cannot remove `rec00001xaa.bz2': No such file or directory
26 =====================================
27
28 shred does not work either:
29 =====================================
30 $ shred -v -z -u rec00001xaa.bz2
31 shred: rec00001xaa.bz2: failed to open for writing: No such file or directory
32 =====================================
33
34 This is how it has been mounted:
35
36 $ mount | grep Video
37 /dev/sda9 on /mnt/VideoDrive type fuseblk
38 (rw,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
39
40 Is there an application I could use to remove them and free the space on the
41 disk, or should I run chkdisk or fsck first? I cannot afford to lose the
42 remaining data on the disk and I do not have another disk as large to back up
43 first.
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick