From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is gcc slotted? Do I have to manually remove old versions?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 05:53:06
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan E. Davis wrote:
5 >> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net
6 >> <mailto:dalek1967@×××××××××.net>> wrote:
9 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
10 >>
11 >> That should stir up something for ya. :-)
12 >>
13 >> This frightens me:
14 >>
15 >> Cleaning up
16 >>
17 >> It is also safe to remove older GCC versions at this time. Please
18 >> substitute YOUR-NEW-GCC-VERSION with the actual version you've
19 >> upgraded to:
20 >>
21 >> Code Listing 4.5: Cleaning up
22 >>
23 >> # emerge -aC "<sys-devel/gcc-YOUR-NEW-GCC-VERSION"
26 >> Should one truly delete the NEW VERSION?
31 >> Alan
35 >> --
36 >> Alan Davis
37 >>
38 >> "It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
39 >> ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man
42 > Hmmmmmm. I think you should be un-merging the old version.
43 > Otherwise, why upgrade at all. o_O
44 >
45 > Anybody else think this is . . . strange? Gas on the brain maybe?
46 > Bug on the howto?
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
51 > P.S. You should set up your email program to only send text messages
52 > to this mailing list. Some people block html messages and will never
53 > see your message. Bad thing is, the very gurus you need to see it may
54 > not because it is html.
58 I think the gas was on my brain. Notice the less than sign in front of
59 gcc? That means for it to remove anything less than that version. That
60 would be correct.
61
62 I would still remove the old one manually myself. I'm different tho. ;-)
63
64 Dale
65