From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the proper fstab line for shm memory (tmpfs)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:57:45
1 On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 13:28 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > I have a number of systems with different shm lines in fstab - but which
4 > > is correct? - I think they all work, but which is best (and why)? The
5 > > main use I am concerned about is a PXE system with root over nfs where I
6 > > am putting the portage tmp and some other stuff in tmpfs for speed.
7 > >
8 > > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
9 > > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
10 > > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
11 > >
12 > > I suspect the middle line is correct.
13 > >
14 > > BillK
15 >
16 > I have
17 >
18 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec
19 > 0 0
20 >
21 > for ages in fstab. If it is wrong, I am living a lie for years now.
22
23 Thanks, the reason I am not sure is I often copy fstab between machines
24 to speed up configuration, and I suspect the lines with "defaults" trace
25 back to circa 1989 (my first gentoo - over dialup modem with 7 days of
26 downloading/compiling on a 200Mhz K6 :) or whenever tmpfs appeared in
27 the kernel.
28
29 BillK