From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 01:30:42
1 On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 00:36:00 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > The rule of thumb I was taught is that if you can dispense with the
4 > > second part without significantly changing the meaning, use which,
5 > > otherwise use that.
6 >
7 > I agree. You haven't consulted Fowler though, I see. (Drat! Where's my
8 > copy when I need it?) He says the difference is whether we have a
9 > defining clause. If what follows actually defines the subject of the
10 > sentence, use "that". Otherwise it's "which".
11
12 That's the definition I learned, thank for reminding me of it's name.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.