From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 00:36:10
1 On Friday, 2 February 2018 00:04:07 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 23:39:13 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > > > The Romans were very practical people who didn't waste time or
4 > > > > effort, but got on with the job & built an empire which lasted 500
5 > > > > years .
6 > > >
7 > > > built an empire THAT lasted 500 years
8 > >
9 > > Nope. Philip was right the first time. They built an empire, and it
10 > > lasted 500 years. Your version implies that they built an empire that
11 > > lasted 500 years, as distinct from one that didn't.
12 >
13 > In that case the which should be preceded by a comma,
14
15 The comma has become optional with developing usage. Otherwise, we agree.
16
17 > ... as that part of the sentence is optional, only adding extra detail.
18 > However, here the fact that the empire lasted 500 years is the point and
19 > should be included in the main statement with that.
20
21 That's a matter of opinion. If true, it should be handled by recasting the
22 sentence so as not to rely on such a fine distinction, which would most
23 likely be missed.
24
25 > The rule of thumb I was taught is that if you can dispense with the
26 > second part without significantly changing the meaning, use which,
27 > otherwise use that.
28
29 I agree. You haven't consulted Fowler though, I see. (Drat! Where's my copy
30 when I need it?) He says the difference is whether we have a defining
31 clause. If what follows actually defines the subject of the sentence, use
32 "that". Otherwise it's "which".
33
34 I spent many hours editing programmers' documents in the '80s and '90s (in
35 my spare time between assembler and Fortran programs), and this was a major
36 sticking point. As I said to one of those young men, "which" in this context
37 could often be understood as "and it". I stand by that still.
38
39 > Since the 500 years is crucial, the latter applies.
40
41 As I said, the construction is poor.
44 Regards,
45 Peter.