From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Persistence of ZFS /dev/zvol/rpool/swap
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 13:22:41
1 On December 14, 2018 10:59:08 AM UTC, Pariksheet Nanda <pariksheet.nanda@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Hi Joost,
3 >
4 >On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:16 AM J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
5 >wrote:
8 >> Hibernation may work when building your own initramfs.
9 >> Not sure if dracut and the likes have support for it themselves.
10 >>
11 >> Joost
12 >
13 >Yeah, I know it's possible to hibernate using my same setup using
14 >BTRFS instead of ZFS. But after a few weeks of use BTRFS eventually
15 >becomes slow as molasses; processes routinely get stuck in deep disk
16 >sleep. In both cases I've been using genkernel for my initramfs.
17 >Thanks for the encouragement to dig into the initramfs setup. I'll
18 >report back if I have any success or questions.
19 >
20 >Pariksheet
21
22 On my laptop I have full disk encryption using dmcrypt. LVM on top of that and my swap inside an LV.
23 My initramfs does the following:
24 - decrypts the disk using a typed in password
25 - enables LVM
26 - passes the swap partition to kernel resume
27 - if resume doesn't start, it will mount the partitions and initiates proper boot
28
29 Passing the swap partition requires identifying some codes that can differ every boot. I can post my script if you think it will help?
32 Joost
33 --
34 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.