From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autorespond
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:30:23
1 On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:15:30 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
2
3 > > I suppose what we really need is a standard header to be inserted by
4 > > auto-responders. Then mailing list software can simply ignore any such
5 > > mails.
6 >
7 > In theory a good solution. In practice I doubt it helps.
8 > Whoever is "able" to configure an auto-responder in such a completely
9 > brain-dead way, as we have seen recently, will very likely screw up
10 > adherence to such a standard too.
11
12 Yes, I thought of that the instant I hit Send!
13
14 > In fact, all that's needed is already there (just the other way round,
15 > though): every list I'm subscribed to adds a "Precedence" header field
16 > (with values of "bulk" or "list") to the messages. A sane auto-responder
17 > will not send replies to messages containing this header field.
18
19 Good idea, I'll rewrite the procmail rules I use... not that I'm going
20 on holiday for a while :(
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.