From: "Markus Schönhaber" <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] autorespond
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:15:35
1 Neil Bothwick:
2
3 > I suppose what we really need is a standard header to be inserted by
4 > auto-responders. Then mailing list software can simply ignore any such
5 > mails.
6
7 In theory a good solution. In practice I doubt it helps.
8 Whoever is "able" to configure an auto-responder in such a completely
9 brain-dead way, as we have seen recently, will very likely screw up
10 adherence to such a standard too.
11
12 In fact, all that's needed is already there (just the other way round,
13 though): every list I'm subscribed to adds a "Precedence" header field
14 (with values of "bulk" or "list") to the messages. A sane auto-responder
15 will not send replies to messages containing this header field.
16
17 No matter how you look at it - there's little that protects you against
18 a dim-wit someone has told "you're sysadmin now".
19
20 Regards
21 mks