From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't hear anything. :-(
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:08:22
1 Hi, Mark,
2
3 On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:20:53PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi, gentoo,
6
7 > > I'm trying to get sound to sound on my new Gentoo box, following the
8 > > "Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide".  Everything seems to be working fine, except
9 > > no sound is coming out of my loudspeakers.
10
11 > > I've checked the obvious things: the speakers are plugged in, switched
12 > > on and connected to the appropriate socket on my motherboard (the light
13 > > green one).
14
15 > > I have drivers for my motherboard's sound chips compiled into my kernel,
16 > > and they are correctly identified by alsamixer.  With alsamixer I've
17 > > unmuted various things and turned up the volume.
18
19 > > madplay appears to play an mp3 file I have.  Just that no actual sound
20 > > comes out.
21
22 > > One other strange thing: the titles under the "volume bars" in alsamixer
23 > > are very different from the ones in the document: Instead of "Master /
24 > > Headphone / Tone / Bass / Treble / 3D Contr / PCM", I've got " Master /
25 > > Headphon / Front / Front Mi / Surround / Center / LFE / Side / Line /
26 > > Mic / Mic Boos / S/PDIF / S/PDIF D / Beep".  Why is this?  In
27 > > particular, I'm missing the "PCM" volume bar which the documentation
28 > > says is so important to unmute.
29
30 > > What am I missing here?
31
32 > > Thanks in advance!
33
34 > > --
35 > > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
38 > Did you get this worked out yet?
39
40 Not yet, no.
41
42 > VERY strange that you don't see pcm as a mixer control...
43
44 I've got alsamixer 1.0.21. Could it be that it choses its controls
45 according to the capabilities of the sound card?
46
47 > It's a bit hard to say much with so little info but I'll offer a
48 > couple of things:
49
50 > 1) IMO Alsa has never run so well when drivers are compiled into the
51 > kernel. I do a lot of audio in Linux and have always had the best
52 > results using modules. I would strongly suggest you give it a try...
53
54 Oh deity! I was hoping not to have to do this. I've never used modules
55 before, since they are (or were) an unnecessary complication, and might
56 introduce security risks. Maybe I'll have to read up on this.
57
58 > 2) Under /proc/asound/card0 (or whatever card you are using if you
59 > have more than 1) do you see any pcm directories?
60
61 # ls /proc/asound/card0
62 codec#0 id oss_mixer pcm0c pcm0p pcm1p pcm2c
63
64 , so yes, I can see some pcm directories.
65
66 > 3) Post back a little more info?
67
68 > cat /proc/asound/cards
69
70 0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
71 HDA ATI SB at 0xfbcf8000 irq 16
72 1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
73 HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbffc000 irq 19
76 > aplay -l
77
78 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
79 card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
80 Subdevices: 1/1
81 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
82 card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
83 Subdevices: 1/1
84 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
85 card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
86 Subdevices: 1/1
87 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
88
89 > aplay -L
90
91 default:CARD=SB
92 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
93 Default Audio Device
94 front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
95 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
96 Front speakers
97 surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
98 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
99 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
100 surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
101 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
102 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
103 surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
104 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
105 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
106 surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
107 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
108 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
109 surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
110 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog
111 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
112 iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
113 HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Digital
114 IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
115 null
116 Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
117 hdmi:CARD=HDMI
118 HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI
119 HDMI Audio Output
122 > lsmod
123
124 Opening /proc/modules: No such file or directory
125
126 > Good luck,
127
128 Thanks!
129
130 > Mark
133 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).