From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:49:58
1 On 2022-10-23, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > That is true on Linux.  Most linux software could care less what the
4 > extension is or if it even has one.  Heck, you could likely change a
5 > .mp4 to .txt and it would open with a video player just by clicking on
6 > it.  Thing is, if I share a file with someone who uses windoze, I'm not
7 > sure if it would work the same way.  A wrong extension could cause
8 > problems, either not opening at all or crashing something.  It's
9 > windoze, one can't expect much.  ROFL
10
11 A friend of mine once spent days trying to re-encode a video file into
12 a format that could be handled by a particular windows app. No matter
13 what codecs/parameters he tried, the app couldn't open the file. He
14 finally figured out that the app in question had hard requirements for
15 the filename suffix, and they chose a somewhat non-nstandard extension
16 for that container format.
17
18 It turned out that any of the codec/parameter combinations would have
19 been fine, it was just the filename that was causing the problem.
22 Grant