From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root (/) read-only?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:49:33
1 On 27 September 2005 14:00, James Hiscock wrote:
2 > On 9/27/05, glumtail <glumtail@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > This happens offen in my system.
4 > >
5 > > My root filesystem is reiserfs and /home is ext3, when i extract tar
6 > > packages it says it is a readonly filesystem.
7 >
8 > Fix your /etc/fstab - it thinks your root partition is xfs, when it
9 > isn't. You either: a) didn't change it during installation; or b)
10 > overwrote it in a recent update.
11
12 Since his root filesystem is read-only, he needs a bit more help I guess
13 because he can't simply use his favourite editor to edit fstab. Well, he can
14 but he can't write the changes to his harddisk. ;-)
15
16 You boot from a live cd (any actually). If it is a gentoo live cd you mount
17 your root partition under /mnt/gentoo. If it is some other cd you have to
18 find out where to mount. Now you cd to /mnt/gentoo/etc and edit fstab. Write
19 it back and reboot the box without cd.
20
21 Uwe
24 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
25 developers. - Linus Torvalds
26
27 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
28 --